środa, 4 czerwca 2014

Quick trip through the Kazimierz District

At the beginning, we have started on the Szeroka Street.

1. The first point on your map is Helena Rubinstein's House. She was a Pole of Jewish origin, born in Krakow in 1872. Helena was a founder of cosmetics company named Helena Rubinstein Inc. She was regarded as a one of the richest women of the time. Nowadays, luxury creams and powders are signed her name. Her childhood was not a bed of roses at all. Visit this House situated on Szeroka 14 Street. 

2. Then, you have to see Remuh Synagogue located on Szeroka 40 Street. The synagogue is one of two active synagogues in the city where are held devotions. The Synagogue with Remuh Cementery create a unique team of Jewish architecture. 

3. Next, another point in your trip is the Old Synagogue situated on the Szeroka 24 Street. the Old Synagogue is one of the oldest survived in Poland. The monument was founded by Czech Jews who arrived to Krakow in 1389. One of the most important event in the synagogue history was a speech of Tadeusz Kościuszko, who encouraged Jews to fight for the freedom of our common homeland. The Historical Museum of Krakow is planning to restore a historical fence of the synagogue which was made in the 20th century by Zygmunt Hendel.  

4. The biggest synagogue in Kazimierz District is the Issac Synagogue situated on the corner two streets: Kupa 18 Street and Isaac Street. The monument has been regarded as the richest synagouge in the city for many years. During the World War II, the interior of the synagogue was distroyed with their valuable equipment forever. Since 1997, the synagogue has been opened for tourists. 

5. Then, Reformed synagogue located on the Miodowa 24 Street. During the World War II the synagogue was distroyed by Nazis who turned it into a stable for horses. In the early 90s of the 20th century, the World Monuments Fund in New York entered the synagogue on the list of Jewish Heritage Program in Central and Eastern Europe. Thanks to the WMF, were started a renovation work in 1994. 

6. Next, the New Square, popularly known as Jewish Square. In the middle of the square is rotunda, popularly named as saucepan (by locals). This is a pavilion built in 1900, consisting of two objects: inner hall and "ring" with different shops. These buildings are separated by a corridor.  Currently, the square operates on weekdays as a market where you can buy vegetables and valuable antiques. Around the square there are many cafes and pubs. 

7. Church of Corpus Christi was founded by Kazimierz Wielki about 1340. The first church was wooden. Construction of  a new church was started in 1385. Thanks to Pope John Paul II, the church has been raised to the dignity of a minor basilica. Organy, which is musical instrument used mostly in churchs, 
are the largest instrument in Krakow. Moreover, they are designed for 83 voices. 

8. The Wolnica Square is a part of the original market of Kazimierz, created in 1335. the square has been as big as present the Main Square in Krakow many years ago. It has served similar functions like trade (exchange of goods). Since the end of World War II, in the town hall in the middle of the square has headquartered the Ethnographic Museum with its collection of folk art. 

9. Then, Church of Sts. Catherine of Alexandria and Margaret in Krakow. The team of churchs is the best examples of gotics architecture in Poland. The interesting thing is that the church has been never completed. Because of two earthquakes, the church was seriously destroyed in 1443 and 1786. It is a phenomenon due to the fact that earthquakes are rare in Poland.  

10. The church and monastery of the Pauline on the Rock. "On the Rock" comes from the location of the team of churchs. IOn the courtyard in front of the temple there is a pond of St. Stanislaus of the 17th century stone fence. Near the pond stands the Altar of the Three Millennia. 

11. Crypt of Merit on the Rock also called the Cementery of the Great Poles is situated in the basement of the church the Pauline. The Crypt was created in 1880 according to the project of professor Łepkowski.

Get to know Jewish history on walking tour of Kazimierz